Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"I Shaved You Hair"

For the record, Avarie is currently standing atop an overturned baby doll carrier right next to me scream-singing, "I got a dream, I got a dreeeeaaaammm!!"
Curse the person who ever introduced her to the movie, 'Tangled'. Though the movie has been banned at our house for the last month (for provoking mischievous and/or general sassy pants-ness), I can always tell when Adam secretly watches it with her...

Case in point; The flower gleam and glow song is back. Sunday morning began like any other Sabbath day at our house. We had breakfast, then Avarie and I headed to the shower for tubby time before church. These days, during tubby time I have to sit on the tub floor to shave my legs as my baby Pacca girth no longer allows me to do so while standing (TMI?). While I take care of the leg shaving business, Avarie often stands behind me stroking my hair and singing the "Flower gleam and glow" song from Tangled (obsessed much? Yes, the answer is yes, she is), though she hasn't done it as often since the Tangled ban.  So this particular shaving sesh started out just like all the others. I got my razor off the top tub shelf, sat myself down, turned around for a sec to grab my shave gel, then proceeded to lather up the leggies. Meanwhile, Avarie grabs my hair and gets her stroke on, with accompanying song. Just as I go to reach for my razor and realize it's not where I left it, Avarie proclaims proudly, "I shaved you hair, Mommy!" Whaaaaaaaaaaa????
Yes folks, she was not wrong, she did, in fact, shave my hair.
What kind of genius leaves a razor where a 2 year old can reach it?! you ask. Well, apparently, I do. During the split second that I set it down next to me then turned my back to get my shave gel, Lady McKlepto snatched said razor and proceeded to use it like unto a brush on my unsuspecting locks. I frantically snatched the razor from her clutches and proceeded to run my fingers through my hair to assess the damage. As I did so, long strands of hair came out in my hands, but not as much as I had initially feared. So we're okay, thought I. But then I shampooed my hair. More long strands. Then the conditioner. MORE long strands kept coming, and coming and coooooming off in my hands. She obviously wanted to get a very close shave.  Ahhhhh!!! Panic set in. During all the damage assessment and subsequent freak out, Avarie was chirping excitedly, "I shaved you hair, Mommy! tee-hee, SO soooooorry!" and kissing my hair.

When all was said and done, the damage wasn't as bad as it initially seemed. For one, the shaved spot is in the back of my hair so, really, I can't tell if it's visible to the naked eye anyway. Blissfully unaware. Adam couldn't tell where she got me either, so that's comforting...though he is also the same guy who "couldn't tell" when I burned off a huge chunk of my bangs 2 weeks before our wedding- me thinks he was trying to lessen my self consciousness/freak-out at the time (and mayhaps this time also) by letting me think that others wouldn't notice the obvious fizzled hair stubs sticking straight off my forehead. A true sweet heart.
So, lesson learned (at the expense of my poor hair), the toddler's stealth and creativity is not to be underestimated. And, true to my suspicious, the dynamic duo watched Tangled together Saturday evening. Sneaky.

Later on that same Sunday, Avarie had been doing something I asked her repeatedly not to do, thus, she was subjected to time out. After time out, I sat down with her to have a little chat about why she went to time out. I asked her, as per usual, "why were you in time out?" She replied, "a'cause, I be disobedient", a typical response from her. "And why were you being disobedient?", said I. To which she responded, atypically, "It's complicated, Mommy". My response? Pick up jaw from the floor, try not to laugh. Fair enough Avarie, obedience, or the lack thereof, can be a complicated topic. Deep thoughts by my 2 year old. Loooooove her!
Later on, when I was telling Adam about her response and wondering where in the world she picked up that phrase, he told me that it's from Tangled. Rapunzel says it to Flynn Ryder. Nice. Glad my kid is at least getting a vocab boost from all that secret Disney watching ;p






1 comment:

Maren B said...

I LOVE IT! So glad LoLi has not yet shaved me hair.