Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Happs

It has been a whirlwind of activity here at the Hughestead as of late. Adam was a furry of studying prowess as he prepared for and aptly conquered finals. When this guy sets his mind to something, such as studying or any other project, he is a force of grander to be reckoned with. I have never in my life seen the likes of his dedication and focus- it's truly awe inspiring.

 We were also very happy to get to go to the 1st Presidency (of the LDS Church) Christmas Devotional at the Conference Center in Salt Lake with Adam's family. It was a wonderful evening with specially prepared inspirational messages reminding us to turn our focus to Christ and the celebration of His life during this Christmas season. I was grateful for the gentle reminder to keep the true spirit of Christmas alive rather than letting myself get engulfed in the hubbub of consumerism. I also loved hearing the beautiful music by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and seeing the lights that decorate the grounds of the Conference Center and on Temple Square. Walking around the grounds at Christmas time reminded me of being a missionary there and LOVING it! Bring on the nostalgia. It was Adam's very first time attending an event inside the Conference Center- he loved it as well, as evident below:
December 5, 2010

Adam and I have long disagreed about whom was bed hog in the family. I have hard evidence that one of us slowly gravitates toward the center of the bed during the course of the night, thus forcing the other to the nether most regions of the mattress. I'll not sway the verdict, you be the judge:
Adam deep in slumber (the edge of the blue pillow marks the edge of the bed). 
At about 17.5 weeks preg. I was laying in bed watching a movie while waiting for Adam to come home from a very long night of studying at the library. As I was lying there minding my own, I felt a strange and un-nerving sensation in my belly. After determining that, nope, never felt that one before, I immediately thought, "uhhh, can fetuses have seizures??" It felt like a humming bird was trapped in there and was desperately attempting escape. The buzzing, seizure feeling was no fleeting thing either, it would last for a good minute or two before stopping for a few seconds then starting right back up again. Being secretly mildly alarmed but also conjecturing that it could be the baby making it's presence known I hastily grabbed for my phone and dialed one of my BFFs, Lorna- a seasoned mother of 3. Wanting to play it cool, yet realizing that it was well past the acceptable hour to call decent folk just as she picked up the phone with a quizzical, "Meeeg?". I started off the convo with an ever so breezy, "sooo, how's it going?". Right. Transparent? Yes. After careful description of the belly disturbances we both agreed that I had very likely just felt the first baby stirrings. I was quite pleased that I felt it a few weeks ahead of normal (at least that's what the baby bible book says). Baby is highly advanced already. Adam and I are quite proud.

18.5 Weeks, December 8, 2010

Last but certainly not least, it's Christmas time. I L-O-V-E the Christmas season with the fire of a thousand suns (novel talk anyone?). Here are a few pictures from the festivities to date:
My crafty 'gingerbread' house from our staff holiday party.  

Fun with the Chatsworth ladies and friends for a festive get together.

Brianne was  the lucky recipient of my white elephant gift
-there are jumbo sized bike shorts to go with.

The handy work of Adam's nieces, and me...he might not love that I posted this.

2 comments:

Maren B said...

I"m confused about the biggest loser tshirt and why you look the same at 4 months as you did at 3 months.

M said...

yay!!! it is so fun to feel your baby move! however, with Cruise, he NEVER stopped wiggling and moving. after awhile, i must admit, it got a bit irritating, especially as he got BIGGER...but it was a sign of things to come. lol.

i love reading your blog!